Kunst Haus Wien
The Museum Hundertwasser, founded by the Austrian artist-architect Friedensreich Hundertwasser, is located in the Kunst Haus Wien (Art House Vienna). The building was originally built in 1892 for the renown Habsburg-era furniture magnate, Gebrüder Thonet, as his eponymous urban factory and storage facility. The site was converted to its current purpose as a cultural institution in 1991. The Kunst Haus Wien is since active as Vienna’s primary art space for contemporary photography and home to the most comprehensive representation of Hundertwasser’s practice.
Hundertwasser’s pioneering ideas on ecology and sustainability set the agenda for the Kunst Haus Wien as the world’s first ‘ecological museum’. Today it is an internationally recognised cultural space, addressing nature and climate related issues, including sustainability, climate change, recycling, urbanism and cross-generational responsibility. During Bettina Leidl’s directorship (2015 – 2021) the Garage Gallery, which sits in the rear garden, became a critical incubator for exhibitions, events and ideas about the roles, responsibilities and possibilities that art can play in realising a more sustainable society and hopeful future. kunsthauswien.com